I've been working on this post for months.
Since summer, I've been asking random people a simple, yet difficult to answer question:
What are you afraid of?
While I did get some basic, fluff answers like "spiders," "thunderstorms," "Honey Boo-Boo," etc. I did get a lot of really, really powerful responses. I promised to keep the responses anonymous. But I will admit, one of the following fears belongs to me.
*bolded fears = more than 3 people gave this response
I always think it's interesting, empowering, and comforting to know that I'm not alone in something. So I hope you see at least one fear listed below that you can relate to. It means that someone else is afraid of the same thing. And it means that it's OK to be afraid, as long as you don't allow your fears to prevent you from living your dreams.
"There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure."
- Paulo Coelho
41 things people are afraid of...
1. I'm afraid I'll never find the right guy.
2. I'm afraid that I'll eventually have to start dating outside of my race...and that my parents won't be OK with it.
3. I'm afraid that I'll lose my scholarship after this semester.
4. I'm afraid that the people I call my friends may actually be my enemies.
5. I'm afraid that I will let my family down.
6. I'm afraid my family may lose our home because my parents are paying my way through school.
7. I'm afraid people will find out my real religious beliefs.
8. I'm afraid that I will never find a job that I love.
9. I'm afraid my boyfriend may not be the one.
10. I'm afraid of getting stuck in a job I hate.
11. I'm afraid that one day I'll leave my flat iron on and I will accidentally burn my entire complex down.
12. I'm afraid of never being good enough.
13. I'm afraid of settling and not knowing I'm settling.
14. I'm afraid to have a child in this crazy world we live in.
15. I'm afraid that if I don't have the latest and trendiest fashion, I won't fit in.
16. I'm afraid to skip my sorority events.
17. I'm afraid that my child will be bullied at school or online.
18. I'm afraid that I will fail two classes this semester.
19. I'm afraid that someone will steal my idea before I can make it a reality.
20. I'm afraid of saying no.
21. I'm afraid of ending up homeless in a world that ignores homeless people.
22. I'm afraid of admitting my real past because I know I'll be judged.
23. I'm afraid of eating sushi.
24. I'm afraid of having my identity stolen for financial purposes or because someone uses my photos to "Catfish" someone else.
25. I'm afraid that I will have to turn to online dating to find my mate.
26. I'm afraid that I'm only good at being bad.
27. I'm afraid that someone I love or I will get cancer.
28. I'm afraid that Miley Cyrus is a role model for our children.
29. I'm afraid I will become addicted to drugs like my dad.
30. I'm afraid I'll never be as successful as possible...because I'm a woman.
31. I'm afraid my blog will be a complete failure, and I will be too.
32. I'm afraid my long distance relationship won't last.
33. I'm afraid I won't get into the college I want.
34. I'm afraid to go a day without checking my phone, social media, emails, etc.
35. I'm afraid for people to read what I write.
36. I'm afraid that racism is only getting worse.
37. I'm afraid that I'll never finish paying off my student loans.
38. I'm afraid my wedding won't be as good as my Pinterest board.
39. I'm afraid that I'm wasting my life.
40. I'm afraid that I'll never be satisfied with life.
41. I'm afraid that I'll never find myself.
If you're feeling brave, leave a comment with your fear or with the number(s) that match your fear.