I've been looking for ways to incorporate vegetables and fruits into pasta/rice dishes in place of fatty pasta sauces. The first vegetable I tried was a sweet potato, using it to make a Sweet Potato Orzo. And this was just as good as any pasta sauce I've had, but a lot healthier! This meal didn't take long to make once the sweet potatoes were cooked, and it was so yummy! I'm sharing the ingredients and instructions below.
Sweet Potatoes (2)
Orzo (2 cups)
White Onion (1/2)
White Mushrooms (1/2 cup)
Fresh Cilantro (1 handful)
Feta Cheese (1/2 cup)
Honey (2 teaspoons)
1. Boil Orzo in water until cooked.
2. Boil sweet potatoes in water for 30 minutes - chop into thirds once soft.
3. once potatoes are soft, drain the water from the pot they are in.
4. Add in chopped white onion, chopped white mushrooms, and cilantro, feta cheese, to the pot with the potatoes. Then sprinkle on the black pepper, paprika, and cinnamon.
5. Mix the ingredients in the pot until they are a semi-smooth texture. If you prefer a completely smooth texture, continue mixing or blend these ingredients.
6. Add in the drained Orzo to the potato mixture.
7. Sprinkle more feta cheese and seasoning on top and drizzle on honey.