Walking really works wonders. The other week I met up with my friend Shelby at Piedmont Park to walk and chat. Honestly, I was dreading the environment of this hangout because I have never enjoyed outdoor summer activities in the past. But after our first lap, I felt incredible.
Walking 10,000 steps each day = about 500 calories burned each day = about 1 pound loss each week. For the past two weeks, I've been walking at least 10,000 steps a day and to track my steps I've been using the steps counter on the myfitnesspal application for iPhone. I love this feature of the app because every time I look at my phone, I can check the progress of my steps.
Walking around Piedmont with Shelby also helped me cross an item off my ATL Summer Bucket List, yesss! This hangout turned out to be such a fun and healthy time, and it inspired me to start walking more often. Here are some ways that I've incorporated more walking into my daily life:
- Meet up with my friends to walk somewhere and then get a healthy snack/meal afterward
- Walk around my neighborhood or the hallways of my apartment complex
- Take the steps in my work building instead of the elevator
- Walking around the office before and after my lunch break
- Walking to my co-workers' desks instead of emailing/IM'ing
- Walking from class to class instead of taking the bus
- Walk with a friend to a lunch/dinner spot nearby instead of driving
- When shopping at the mall (or Target), walk around the entire building
How do you incorporate physical activity into your daily life?